How to Join the Society
You will need to register or log-in as a visitor to the site (see "How to log in: Visitors to the website" below). After logging in:
- To join by credit card on-line directly from this website, choose "Membership Application on-line" from the Membership tab on the menu bar at the top of this page.
- To join and pay your subscription by any other means, choose "Membership application by post" from the Membership tab on the menu bar at the top of this page. This will enable you to join by bank transfer, PayPal, cheque or similar money order.
Follow the instructions for the chosen method.
How to Log-In: Members of the Society
Enter your password.
- Select the "Log in" tab at the top right hand side of this page.
- Enter your registered email address or membership number in the box.
Click on the "Log in" button.
- Your password was created when you first registered on the MHS website. It will be at least 6 characters long and will contain at least an uppercase letter, a lowercase letter and a number.
- If you have forgotten your password, please contact the Webmaster.
- If you are not on a shared machine and you would like your computer to remember your password, click on "Remember me?"
How to Log-In: Visitors to the website
It is not necessary for visitors to the website to log-in. However:-
- To purchase items from the shop or to make an application to join the Society on-line, you will need to register contact details. These will either be retained in an account or discarded after you have used them
- If you wish to search the content of The Bulletins and view the results you will need to join our Society. To do so:
- Register an account on our web site - that gives you the status as a Visitor, and you can make purchases
- Join our Society - once you have paid your subscription you will be able to access all parts of our web site and you will receive quarterly Bulletins
- See explanation above on logging in to the website as a Member
How to change your password
- Select "My Account" from the list of tabs at the top of this page.
- Select :Change Password" from the drop down menu.
- Enter your current and new passwords in the form and click "Change password".
What to do if you have forgotten your ID or password
If you have forgetten your password you can reset it from this page
However, if you have forgotten both your ID and password, contact the Webmaster
How to Purchase Items from the Shop
Members of the Society should log in to the website. Non-Members should register or log-in as Visitors and choose "Shop" from the menu bar at the top of this page. Items for sale are grouped under two different headings: "Bulletins" and "Special Numbers and Binders". Bulletins are back numbers of the quarterly Society journal, The Bulletin, and Special Numbers are fully illustrated, in-depth reviews of generally a single subject which are published occasionally, about every eighteen months, by the Society. Items can be added to the basket from either or both lists and paid for on-line at the checkout.
How to Renew Your Subscription
Subscriptions can be renewed in a variety of ways.
- The most efficient method is to download a standing order form from the Membership tab at the top of this page and take or send the completed form to your own bank.
- You can also renew the subscription on line by selecting "Renew Subscription" from the Membership tab and clicking on the "Renew Subscription" button. However, Members are asked not to renew their subscription on-line for the following year before 1st of September.
- Instructions for renewing subscriptions by bank transfer, PayPal or cheque or similar money order are also given on the "Renew Subscription" page on the Membership tab.
How to submit an article for The Bulletin
Members are encouraged to submit articles based on their own experiences, interests or research, for publication in The Bulletin. Articles should be original or attributed, and written in Microsoft Word with any illustrations formatted as jpegs. They should be sent via email to the Editor or may be sent by post to the correspondence address: MHS Bulletin. Lower Brook Farm, Smithy Lane, Rainow, Macclesfield, SK10 5UP.
How to submit an entry for the Annual Exhibition
Details of the Annual Exhibition and Militaria Fair, which is held annually in September in conjunction with the Aldershot Militaria Society, are published with The Bulletin during the year. All Members are encouraged to put on a display from their collection or their research in order to share their interests with other members of the Society. On the Search Results page, you can filter the results by years or by quality of match
How to Search contents of The Bulletins
- To see the Article Titles in each available issue of the Bulletin, go to "Shop" on the main menu bar and choose "Bulletins". Click on any issue to display a list of articles in that issue.
- To search for appropriate Article Titles in the database of all issues of The Bulletin published since Issue 1 (August 1950), go to "Search" on the main menu bar and choose "Select list of contents of Bulletins". Insert relevant search words in the box, select "All Words" or "Exact Phrase" and click on "Search".
- To search for words or phrases within articles in the database of all issues of The Bulletin published since Issue 1 (August 1950), go to "Search" on the main menu bar and choose "Search Bulletins". Insert relevant search words in the box, select "All Words" or "Exact Phrase" and click on "Search".
- Search results can be filtered by date or quality of match and these filters can be removed with the "Reset filters" options. To select any individual result, click on the page number to display a brief extract. Then select "View page" to see the article and use the "<Previous" and "Next>" options on the main menu bar to see the whole article. The text can be copied and pasted into word processing programmes such as MS Word.
Search Terms: In choosing words and phrases to enter into the search boxes, please note the following:
- Search terms should contain as few words as possible.
- If the search result is too large, filter the results or try adding more words.
- Do not include common words such as: the, a, an, and, from, etc, as a large list of common words is excluded from the index. For example, searching on "Echoes from the North" as "All Words" or "Exact Phrase" will return no results. Searching in "Search Bulletins" for "Echoes North" will bring up two articles from Issues 2 & 3 containing reports from the Northern Branch with the sub-title "Echoes from the North".
- Results are returned in the order of ‘best fit’ to the entered search words.